Silhouette has released its highly anticipated update. Version 4.1.197 is now the current version of the software.
Below I tell you more about the new features, but if you just want to know where to get the new version and how to update … here you go!
Before you update, back up your files.
Personally, I save all of my own designs to my external hard drive as I create them. Since I’m on a Mac, my computer is backed up automatically every hour so I don’t need to worry about backing up. You may use backup software, in which case, you may also not need to worry about this. If not, make a backup copy of all your own designs and save that backup copy in a safe place, such as Dropbox or an external drive.
You also need to export your Silhouette library before you update. To do this, with Silhouette Studio running, access your library.
- If you are using a Cloud version (v3.7 or higher), right click Local User and choose Export Local User.
- If you are NOT using a Cloud version (v3.6 or lower), select File from the menu, then Library and Export Library.
This exports your entire library and its structure to the location you specify. Save this file as a safeguard in case something goes wrong. You won’t need it unless you need to restore your library. Restoring your files to your library also restores the library structure.
Exporting the Cloud folder is not necessary, but you can do this if you like.
Note that once you start the software (on my Mac anyway), the icon is identified as Silhouette Studio 5. I don’t know if this is only because I kept both version 3 and version 4 on my computer or if this would happen regardless.
Here is a comparison of the different editions.
- Faster startup
- Overhauled Send panel
- Various fixes
New features include:
- Font Improvements (find commonly used Fonts instantly — Font Style lists now include a ‘Most frequent fonts’ and ‘Most recent fonts’ category)
- Sticky Notes (display Sticky Notes and save them with a design — ideal for noting which fonts you used in a welded design)
- Popup (create basic Pop-Up cards)
- Glyphs (new Glyph tab in the Text Style panel to add glyphs to the Workspace)
- Font Management (Font Style lists includes categories for Library fonts in folders and subfolders)
- Warp (new Warp tool feature to distort shapes with the nodes provided)
Conical Warp (new Warp tool feature to distort objects to a conical shape — ideal for designs on mugs and tumblers)
- Multiple Undo/Redo
- Save as SVG/PDF/JPG (Note: Exported SVG files will not contain Silhouette Design Store files)
Full details of the new features and improvements are here.
Note that Bluetooth is still not functioning as it should. I recommend using a USB cable to connect your Silhouette machine.
More information on using all of these new features will be posted in the coming weeks.